You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem and smarter than you think.
Winnie the Pooh
What is Behavioural Coaching & Consultation?
What is behaviour? Well, behaviour is quite literally everything that we do! From the mundane to the extreme, all behaviour has a function, purpose and is ultimately a form of communication. This is especially true for challenging behaviours.
There are a multitude of factors that influence behaviour, including different environments, social settings, personal skills, frustration tolerance… the list can go on an on. All these different influences make it essential to look at behaviour holistically and not just focus on x+y=z.
There is no magical or universal solution for overcoming behavioural challenges. There are many great lenses and frameworks that can be applied to addressing these challenges. Behavioural coaching and consultation services from Me2Be look at what is being communicated when a behaviour occurs, finding the right frameworks to address that behaviour, and then tailoring those frameworks to best suite the child and their family.
Me2Be Behavioural supports and services may include:
1. Collaborative problem solving with families.
2. Identify and teach the necessary skills for children and their families to tackle challenges.
3. Develop proactive strategies to reduce the occurrence of challenging behaviours.
4. Develop reactive strategies to reduce the severity of unsafe behaviours.
5. Create crisis plans for escalation cycles. Sometimes it may seem like a kiddo goes from 0 – 60, but there’s always something in between.
6. Teach and support new, healthy behaviours. Challenging behaviours don’t just disappear – there needs to be a replacement!
7. Informal assessment and information gathering. Data collection helps us to understand what is being communicated when a behaviour occurs.
8. Coaching parents to understand the ways that adult responses reinforce a child’s behaviour.
9. Create visuals and social stories to support expectations and functional routines.
10. Provide resources for parents.
11. Integration of services with an Occupational Therapist.
Cost of Services
Joint Initial Assessment (includes OT and Behavioural Consultant)- 120/hour
Occupational Therapy Services - 120/hour
Behavioural Coach and Consultant - 50/hour
Any joint visit after initial assessment- 150/hour