Occupational Therapy practitioners ask,
what matters to you, not,
what's the matter with you?
AOTA President Ginny Stoffel
What is Occupational Therapy?
Throughout my career I have had many people ask me WHAT is an Occupational Therapist exactly? Now that is a loaded question!
And my response is........
An occupational therapist is someone who supports you with your occupations. An occupation is anything that occupies
your time. We often fill our time with things we love and things that allow us to function in everyday life! For example, a child's occupations may include playing with friends, going to school, eating, toileting, bathing, drawing, etc.
Occupational Therapists take a holistic approach when working with kids and families. What this means is we look at how the environment, and personal factors (cognition, sensory, motor skills, health) affect a person's participation, performance and level of engagement in different occupations (tasks, activities, routines).
An Occupational Therapist can help to improve:
Fine Motor & Gross Motor Skills
Visual Motor and Visual Perceptual Skills
Self Help Skills
Social Thinking Skills
Emotional & Self- Regulation Skills
Feeding or Picky Eating
Me2Be Occupational Therapy services and supports may include:
1. Identifying important goals that parents and a child want to work on.
2. Completing screens, assessment(s), and/or data collection to gain more information about a child's strengths and challenges in the areas of:
visual motor & visual perceptual skills
activities of daily living
3. Adapting and modifying an environment to make it easier for a child to be successful.
4. Coaching parents and a child through a challenging routine, task, or activity.
5. Consulting to parents to help build their knowledge and capacity about an identified challenge.
6. Sharing information and resources about the most current research regarding child development.
7. Teaching a child and/or parents new skills and behaviours.
8. Empowering a child and/or parent to try something new!
Cost of Services
Initial Visit- 120/hour
Occupational Therapy Services - 120/hour
Behavioural Coach and Consultant - 50/hour
Any joint visit after initial assessment- 150/hour